Thread: Battleship duel: Roma vs King George V

LOL-Banned

Battleship duel: Roma vs King George V

The Italian Roma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littorio_class_battleship

vs

The King George V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ge...hip_%281939%29

two underrated designs. each have advantages over the other. The two ships randomly encounter each other, clear day, no support. sun overhead.

FIGHT
    Last edited by Kaiser Wilhelm; 06-20-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: messed up title

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm View Post
    The Italian Roma:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littorio_class_battleship

vs

The King George V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ge...hip_%281939%29

two underrated designs. each have advantages over the other. The two ships randomly encounter each other, clear day, no support. sun overhead.

FIGHT
    This one will take some time. I'm not familiar with the Roma save that it was completely underrated as a ship while her crew (or at least the officers) were crap

DIDN'T THE ROMA SUCCUMB TO SOME SORT OF EXOTIC NAZI BOMB?

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinbok View Post

DIDN'T THE ROMA SUCCUMB TO SOME SORT OF EXOTIC NAZI BOMB?
    Yes it did, the a radio controlled bomb actually.

After looking into everything, this one is a toss up until you realize that the advantages the KGV had which was radar. The Roma's radar was adequate for spotting aircraft to give some warning but lacked range. The KGV had good, though not as good as the US BBs, radar and could spot the Roma. That was a good thing as the Roma's guns had a better range and her speed was just slightly, 2 kn, than the KGV.

So the KGV has to close range, which it most likely could and then open fire.

The KGV's guns were 14" but she had 10 and could fire them faster than the Roma, about 2.5-3 RPM. Compared to the Roma's 15" 1.5-2 RPM, the KGV could get an extra salvo each minute over the Roma. That would be about 27 RPM total from the KGV and 15 RPM from the Roma.

Next we come to armor. This is where the Roma exceeds her opponent. Like the Bismarck, the KGV was built for North Atlantic knife fights. The KGV had a great armor belt to withstand direct hits, but her deck was not as thick and any near misses, ie underwater protection, was weak. Also, the KGV's Conning tower had the thinnest armor of any BB of WW 2 vintage.

So you have a classic example here of volume of fire vs decent armor and fewer but more damage causing shells vs weaker armor at long range.

At long range I'd have to say the KGV purely on her ability to see her opponent first, fire first and put more shells in the air faster. Still, the KGV would be hurt, possibly badly and near death, as her deck armor is not as sturdy as the Roma's and any near misses would cause havoc on her hull.

If they were to spot each other at long range at the same time, the Roma would most likely win because the KGV ability to fire first would be gone. Then the hitting power of the Roma's shells would be a match for the increased volume of the KGV's 10 14" guns. But the Roma's victory would most likely be Pyrrhic.

If they were to meet each other at close range, ie coming around an island at close and direct fire range, that goes to the KGV as she's built to fight that fight way better than the Roma.

won't fight the StatusQuo Rev. Doomsday's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on who gets in the first torpedo. One it hits, that's all she wrote.
    I AM A FREE AGENT!! I WILL NOT COMMIT TERRORIST ACTS OR HARM PEOPLE! I CAN BE USED TO DEFEND AND PROTECT YOUR LOVED ONES!
    Applications will not be accepted after Sept 23rd! I WILL NOT RIOT!
    SHELTER AND FOOD ONLY ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT AND I WILL PAY YOU BACK IN KIND WITH KNOWLEDGE, PROTECTION AND SUPPLIES OF MY OWN!

Inform yourself about the coming Socio-Political apocalypse and World War at my ON-SITE BLOG here: THE APOCALYPTIC TIMES-MONITOR