Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surge Suppressors (AKA Surge Protectors or Power Strips) & Battery Back Ups (AKA UPS)

How can anyone but a testing lab review a surge protector?

It either works or it doesn't. What else to say about it?
    You are, my pilgrims, captains of a badly rocking ship on calm water. No rewards in this lifetime, so get to it.

Would one really want a surge protector with a lot of bells and whistles that one need concern oneself about whether they or not they're gonna work?

I think not!
    You are, my pilgrims, captains of a badly rocking ship on calm water. No rewards in this lifetime, so get to it.

the one I installed in 1989 was 75 bucks then.
    I captain no ship. like Hiawatha, I come from the shores of Gitche Manito. by myself. however, I at times find myself cleaning up the mess puissant and others make.

I forgot to take it with me.
    I captain no ship. like Hiawatha, I come from the shores of Gitche Manito. by myself. however, I at times find myself cleaning up the mess puissant and others make.

Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    If a thunder boomer rolls through, I always turn off and unplug everything.
    They make these things called "smart surge arrestors" that basically monitor nearby weather conditions and when lightning is within ten or five miles or whatever they will automatically disconnect your home from the grid. They get installed near your electric meter. They're kind of like a smart circuit breaker or a smart fuse... except you don't throw it away when it burns out and breaks. They might be 20,000 volt rated while your basic white plastic extension cord with six plugs on it that you can't really fit adaptors/adapters into are rated for like way <6,000. Meow meow.
    "All right, whatever happens, let's be professionals." ~ Dr. Peter Venkman

Quote Originally Posted by jirqo adai View Post
    back to Tonka Trucks and Lincoln Logs for you then.
    I can certainly waste time with both. Meow meow.

So, are you telling me that $12.98 for a surge protector is probably a very expensive surge protector?

I don't know what I paid for mine, but the package said the company guaranteed protection up to a whole bunch of joules.

You can buy used APC's online for not much money. I don't see how a used one would be any worse for wear. But they are relativley cheaper than a new one.
    If you're gonna get el cheapo made somewhere by children in a sweat shop near the Pacific Rim power strip at least get the one with the little black button circuit breaker built in. Meow meow.

How can anyone but a testing lab review a surge protector?

It either works or it doesn't. What else to say about it?
    I dunno the cheap ones are like a magnet coil for line conditioning with extra plugs and some other doo dads. Meow meow.

Quote Originally Posted by jirqo adai View Post
    the one I installed in 1989 was 75 bucks then.
    Probably a metal tripp lite designed to work and then break and then not have a fuse that burns out so your stuff catches on farr. Meow meow.

bump