Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antarctic supervolcano melting ice sheet from within

Antarctic supervolcano melting ice sheet from within

The Antarctic's underwater systems of lakes and rivers fill and drain rapidly which can force surface ice to rise or fall by as much as 6 meters (20ft). The average thickness of the ice is 2.6km (1.6 miles) but can reach 4.7km in parts of the sheet. This motion allows scientists to better understand the underground topography and better estimate concentrations of water sources beneath the surface.
    The JPL scientists corroborated their work with readings from NASA's IceSat satellite and airborne Operation IceBridge campaign which observe variations in the altitude of the Antarctic ice sheet's surface. The team found that the geothermal heat emitted by the Antarctic mantle plume is up to 150 milliwatts per square meter. For comparison, over the entirety of Yellowstone National Park the underground heat measures an average of 200 milliwatts per square meter.
    Originally Posted by lala

My Jesus
    Find me o lawdy, I'm ready to shoot myself. I'm tired, soooo tired of shit people. Tired of fighting to live and love. Tired of it ALL. Just tired. I'm close. I really am.

LaLa

She served, unlike your fatass self. 1st Cav.
    So thanks for paying respect where its due, cunt.

Well, okay. I'll go first.

You are, my pilgrims, captains of a badly rocking ship on calm water. No rewards in this lifetime, so get to it.

Last edited by Lummy; 11-17-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    You are, my pilgrims, captains of a badly rocking ship on calm water. No rewards in this lifetime, so get to it.

Then the nigger sold them dozens of helicopters and tanks.

Could be potential there for energy production.

People forget about this. There are vents and volcanoes and geothermal activity ALL OVER. Including beneath the sea.

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

wut are MK IV panzers doing down there?
    I captain no ship. like Hiawatha, I come from the shores of Gitche Manito. by myself. however, I at times find myself cleaning up the mess puissant and others make.

Meet me Antarctica Nigs..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jirqo adai View Post
    wut are MK IV panzers doing down there?
    You're the historian. You tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    People forget about this. There are vents and volcanoes and geothermal activity ALL OVER. Including beneath the sea.
    OMG! We're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post

Then the nigger sold them dozens of helicopters and tanks.
    The nigger was supplying his insurgents against the Antarctic Emperors.
    Quote Originally Posted by submiturass View Post
    Meet me Antarctica Nigs..!!!
    I side with the Emperors too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    Excellent point.

I'm familiar with Yellowstone Park. It's awesome and strange. I'm ambivalent about developing its energy potential. One reason is that I'm set dead against open season for private development of National Parks, and that's exactly what would happen if YNP were tapped, IMHO.

Well, okay, why not here? Well, why don't we do this here? Well, why not this here? And so forth.

Popular opinion to do this was pretty strong in the 1980's. I believe there could have been a land rush during the Reagan administration. Not sure why there wasn't except maybe common sense ultimately prevailed.

YNP is maybe unique among parks for its energy potential. It ain't what I'd call a stunning beauty or gem of a park, but a lot of people would strongly disagree with that. So, there is a part of me says, yeah, shove pipe in it, and part of me says no, don't. In twenty years we'll be back to right where we were before Old Faithful was plumbed and destroyed, if there was actually any gain in it in the first place.

Could be that if its substantial geothermal energy was tapped, it would relieve some of the pressure below the surface that they say has potential to blow up and destroy most of the US.