Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am fucking this trade thing up..

I am fucking this trade thing up..

I'm too emotional. I see a spike and I don't want to miss out.

Need to do better technicals.

It's because you see a stock just totally inexplicably put on two bucks in a day, and you don't want to miss something like that..

Grrrr..

This is going to take some time, I think.

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

It definately takes time. Removing youself emotionally is hard to do but it has to happen. Even with the experience I have my pulse raced a bit simply reading your post. Some days you are in the zone and cant miss. Other days the opposite.

That's the problem.. Fear of Missing Out..

I need to chill and focus. Worry more about trends, technicals and stock behavior.

This may be the algorithms.. I see these run ups with massive volume when the market opens.

It looks good, above the moving averages.. Then, the volume dies, they cash out.. And nothing happens?

It basically consolidates for the rest of the day on low volume.

It's a paper account, so it didn't cost me any real money.. Still it bothers me.

I'm not in at the bottom, but it's not a crash and burn entry.. I'm going to baghold this till tomorrow and try to catch their little runup..

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    That's the problem.. Fear of Missing Out..

I need to chill and focus. Worry more about trends, technicals and stock behavior.

This may be the algorithms.. I see these run ups with massive volume when the market opens.

It looks good, above the moving averages.. Then, the volume dies, they cash out.. And nothing happens?

It basically consolidates for the rest of the day on low volume.

It's a paper account, so it didn't cost me any real money.. Still it bothers me.
    A lot of it depends on gaining the confidence to act as opposed to react. Those few seconds or minutes are crucial. So far youve kept the bad trades small. Thats crucial. Jyst keep hammering on them. It looks to me like youre a quick study on your soft spots and thats great. BTW there are tips taped to the bottom of swing #2 if you stop by the playground today .

This is a decent stock and it is oversold.. Not to mention this is a paper trade anyway.. so I'm fine.

It's almost back to where I bought it now anyway.. But on no volume.

It's these huge volume spikes, particularly in the morning.. Two of them.

They bid it up rapidly, then they cash out.. and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    This is a decent stock and it is oversold.. Not to mention this is a paper trade anyway.. so I'm fine.

It's almost back to where I bought it now anyway.. But on no volume.

It's these huge volume spikes, particularly in the morning.. Two of them.

They bid it up rapidly, then they cash out.. and that's it.
    They are anticipating well. Some stocks have different characteristics than others. There is always big volume on opens. Personally im mistake prone moreso on the open than any other time. The floor has an avalanche of orders and they typically arent spread even between buys and sells. What tends to happen is the imbalance creates a move toward the imbalanced side. At that point the stop orders get " fished out" . once that debacle ends its back to normal . the close is much the same. A lot of "MOC" orders hit at that time (Market On Close)

hurrah. WTG!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up!!!!!!!!!!! youll get the hang of it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    its akin to trying to lead a horse by holding a carrot near its butt..........it just aint gonna work

One thing you might want to consider....dont lose focus of the big picture. Watch the dow and the sp500. You want to see if theres continuity or a divergence. Example. Right now the sp500 is up a few points. The dow is down 50. thats saying the broad market (500 sp stocks ) is a few ticks stronger than the narrower dow of 30. If that divergence continues until about 2-2:30 CST odds on a rally to the close are stronger. Indexes will diverge but over time they regress one to the other. A rule of thumb is about 1 sp500 point = 9 dow points . not to make it complicated but if you watch the difference in the sp500 cash value vs the sp futures the difference will often give you a short term indicator. They have whats known as "fair value " between the two. Look for divergence in the FV and the index itself. At the end of the day its hard for a stock to go too far against the grain. Today its slightly favoring the long side. If that doesnt come to fruition the last 30 minutes an avalanche of sell orders hit and here we go again with behavior much like the open as stops are fished out and pro traders lean into the trend. " the trend is your friend . forget bottom and top fishing. Plentky of meat in the middle for everyone

For real money this time, (But not much of it, little over 500 as an opener) I'm into HTZ at $18 for a swing trade.