Thread: Nixtamalization Who knew?

Nixtamalization Who knew?

Nixtamalization typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the corn is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater washed, and then hulled. This process is known to remove up to 97100% of aflatoxins from mycotoxin-contaminated corn.

The ancient process of nixtamalization was first developed in Mesoamerica, where maize was originally cultivated. There is no precise date when the technology was developed, but the earliest evidence of nixtamalization is found in Guatemala's southern coast, with equipment dating from 12001500 BCE
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization#History

How did they figure this out?

How to make nixtamal and then masa
    (Adapted from Shauna Page's recipe from Nixtamal Tortilleria)

4 cups of water- Bring to boil. Drop to 200F and maintain.
    Pour 2 cups Dry Corn into the boiling water.
    Add 1/4 cup of cal (flake lime, calcium hydroxide) or only 2 T of pickling lime.
    Stir very well, Cover with a lid, Turn off Heat
    Remove the top after 45-60 minutes, or when the corn is soft enough to remove the outer skin by pressing it against the palm of your hand. The corn should absorb some of the water and look a little plump and be firm yet soft enough to eat.
    Remove the top and let stand for 8-12 hours. The corn will nearly absorb all of the water in this time.
    Remove the nixtamal (corn at this stage) from the excess water. Lightly rinse large container. The husks/shells will flow over the top of the rim if you set the faucet on a slow and steady stream stir with you hands to get the bottom husks up. Try not to wash too vigorously.
    Begin grinding. If using a kitchen aid meat grinder set the speed to 5 or 6 max and work in small batches, have water handy to adjust consistency and improve the grind. Basically the same process for hand grinders or metates but a lot more effort and time is involved. If you have a stone masa grinder, one grind will suffice, just ensure you have the right setting, fine or coarse. Adjust to your taste.
    If you are planning to make tamales a coarser masa is required, so maybe stop after the first or second grind. Tortillas do better with a finer grind but sometimes they are nice with a rough grind as well. Hot Bread Kitchen's masa is a bit of a rougher grind than Nixtamal if you'd like a way of comparing.
    http://www.lonestartaconyc.com/2013/...-tortillas.php

https://honest-food.net/a-world-in-a-tortilla/

No one knows how they figured it out, huh.

Okay. Doesn't matter to me. I avoid corn products anyway.

But still, cool word and history.

Fuck all y'all for not finding it interesting.

Dafuq is wrong with you, avoiding corn products?

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Dafuq is wrong with you, avoiding corn products?
    Well, you see.. it's like this. It's just sugar and carbs and I cut that shit out of my diet. It's not because I don't like it.

Eating corn is not the same thing as eating Sugar Pops, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Eating corn is not the same thing as eating Sugar Pops, you know.
    Have you seen me eat corn?

I'm merely pointing out that corn has a lot more nutritional value than just sugar and carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    I'm merely pointing out that corn has a lot more nutritional value than just sugar and carbs.
    I can get those nutrients elsewhere without the spike in sugar and carbs.