Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I read that over-the-air television is back.

now i only watch wgn for the cubbies games and the history channel for about 5% of their programming. other then those two, i will watch SBSP with other people
    its akin to trying to lead a horse by holding a carrot near its butt..........it just aint gonna work

Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    My understanding is that television stations still broadcast over the air, that they had to change to digital which required a conversion box on older televisions.

In this area, when I was a youth, we did not have a PBS station that was in range.

Any antenna that is currently advertised as screwing on to the cable jack on the back of a television set would probably not work in this area due to the distance to broadcast towers. The closest is about 35 miles away. Which would leave me only getting CBS.
    CBS? You're luckier than many. If nuclear annihilation, you will have be better chance of receiving Young and Restless and Bold and Beautiful, possibly uninterrupted.

You'll get a better quality HD digital signal over the air than cable. It's unfiltered.

By that you mean there is less interference? Why they would filter the cable signal?

Wonder what would be a good antenna ... like time travel back to the 50's?

I wonder if one of those rigs that utilizes your household wiring would be good. Seems like you could just make one. Jebe?

I don't have a radio shack here anymore. That was such a cool store, although I rarely used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    By that you mean there is less interference? Why they would filter the cable signal?

I wonder if one of those rigs that utilizes your household wiring would be good. Seems like you could just make one. Jebe?

I don't have a radio shack here anymore. That was such a cool store, although I rarely used it.
    yeah. radio shack was a blast. sold everything but det cord and chems.
    theyve passed laws that forbids making time pencils, so i guess theres no need for radio shack anymore.
    its akin to trying to lead a horse by holding a carrot near its butt..........it just aint gonna work

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post

The signal is coming straight to you. Not through the internet. As clean as a signal can get. TV stations all still broadcast over the air; I think it's fed law.
    You can find antennas anywhere...Home Depot would have a bunch on hand.

go up in your attic and staple a bare #8 stranded ( solid is better ) around its perimeter careful not to touch anything else with it. make the biggest loop you can. one side goes in one side of the antenna screws, the other to the other side

Two TV antennas for improved HDTV: https://youtu.be/PJaffNvOjho

Also this is cool -- a link to an atlas of TV signals for any location in the US: http://www.tvfool.com/