Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 mil handgun for self protection?

9 mil handgun for self protection?

I've long gone with just a .22 handgun for self protection. It seems like enough, but I wonder if I might be better off going with something like a 9 mil. I've never felt I needed super power like a .45. Seems like overkill, plus I'd bet the kickback would make it harder to aim a followup shot. Do any of you guys use 9 mil for self protection. If so, what are you impressions?

From the little information I have, I'd say you're toast no matter what you carry. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Mah Cats View Post
    I've long gone with just a .22 handgun for self protection. It seems like enough, but I wonder if I might be better off going with something like a 9 mil. I've never felt I needed super power like a .45. Seems like overkill, plus I'd bet the kickback would make it harder to aim a followup shot. Do any of you guys use 9 mil for self protection. If so, what are you impressions?
    .45 is entirely manageable.

Shurikens.
    ___,o` `.-''' ```-._.----.
    '----..__,,_________,,-..____,'
    (_\ (_\

Quote Originally Posted by zachry ought View Post
    .45 is entirely manageable.
    Do you find you're able to quickly get off another shot despite its stronger kick?

Quote Originally Posted by Unbidden Wrath View Post
    Shurikens.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachry ought View Post
    Machetes
    Shurikens are likely not lethal. Machetes are not. Machetes

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Shurikens are likely not lethal. Machetes are not. Machetes
    Of course they're lethal. They weren't designed to tickle.
    ___,o` `.-''' ```-._.----.
    '----..__,,_________,,-..____,'
    (_\ (_\

That should read "Shurikens are likely not lethal. Machetes are."

There are only a few 20th Century knife types actually designed to be lethal -- fighting knives for combat and the Fairbairn-Sykes OSS knife of WW2, a stiletto dagger with a blade about 7" long, give or take, because that was the length considered most likely to kill an opponent with one thrust. They almost all have blades 6" or more in length. There are also others like the Bowie, of course. They all have longer blades, however.

But a 2-3" blade that slices by rotation and immediately loses its energy on impact comes nowhere close to fitting the bill for assured kills unless a lucky throw happens to cut a large artery or penetrates the rib cage and slices into the heart, which is unlikely. Shurikens are for movie ninja acrobatics mostly. I wouldn't want one because I certainly would cut myself with it.

grip your 9 tightly in your right hand, contin. then punch yourself in the face with it