Thread: Loved to death

Loved to death

Idk. Itís just bad karma to euthanize your pet to be buried with you.

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/05/16/lov...ead-owners-ok/

Reading through the comments of the link that I came across (I haven't opened yours yet, but I know what it is), I was surprised at the sanctimonious comments... "how selfish - they should have let the dog live out its life", etc.

I don't know statistics, but do you have any idea how many pets get surrendered to shelters where they're never rescued, living out the rest of their lives scared and confused? I was shocked at how many surrenders under those circumstances I personally saw at a local humane center.

My first reaction to the article was "how awful", but then after thinking about it, it's not actually that bad. They are viewed (legally) as property. They aren't independent beings. I would go so far as to say that if that owner thought the pet had ANYONE who loved it as much as the owner, they would have put the pet in their care. It's a very depressing thing for a pet owner to be anxious over what would happen to their pet if the owner died first. I see peace in this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PTA! View Post
    Idk. It’s just bad karma to euthanize your pet to be buried with you.
    Right? Look what happened to the Egyptians. Everyone thinks they were niggers.
    Geraniums stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Right? Look what happened to the Egyptians. Everyone thinks they were niggers.
    lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Reading through the comments of the link that I came across (I haven't opened yours yet, but I know what it is), I was surprised at the sanctimonious comments... "how selfish - they should have let the dog live out its life", etc.

I don't know statistics, but do you have any idea how many pets get surrendered to shelters where they're never rescued, living out the rest of their lives scared and confused? I was shocked at how many surrenders under those circumstances I personally saw at a local humane center.

My first reaction to the article was "how awful", but then after thinking about it, it's not actually that bad. They are viewed (legally) as property. They aren't independent beings. I would go so far as to say that if that owner thought the pet had ANYONE who loved it as much as the owner, they would have put the pet in their care. It's a very depressing thing for a pet owner to be anxious over what would happen to their pet if the owner died first. I see peace in this decision.
    I suppose, but Iíd try to adopt the pet out before I died.
    My grandpaís side kick was confused, but she died within a year of him.
    Maybe of a broken heart?

Quote Originally Posted by PTA! View Post
    I suppose, but I’d try to adopt the pet out before I died.
    My grandpa’s side kick was confused, but she died within a year of him.
    Maybe of a broken heart?
    I agree - I'd want to try and secure someone for mine if I could. BUT, just right now as an example, I don't believe I'll die before my 2 6-yr old St Bernard's. So, I'm not looking at who could possibly take them and give them the life I want for them, or even a decent life at all. And thinking about that? I can't reasonably think of anyone. I can think of a lot of people who would WANT to, but actually be capable? My female is my shadow - probably to an unhealthy extent, but I can accommodate her, so I do. I have no doubt it would break her heart if I weren't here. My male is better balanced emotionally, but I'm still his favorite person also. I know more than just a couple of animal lovers, but that's not enough to be able to take on the responsibility of someone else's pet and all that comes along with that.

Idk...I’ll be dead, will I even know how my pets are being treated?

or

We could haunt the new pet owners, Lummy-style.