Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Harley Prices..

Ended up buying a 1980 Superglide, Fat Bob.

Me and my buddy went up to get it last Sunday. It's been nothing but a PITA ever since.

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

It is.. Um.. "Distressed"

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    You'll be a fat bob too if you keep scarfing all that popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Question for those who have ridden for long periods on Harleys and also on bikes with bench seats -- say like dual sports or dirt bikes: Is riding a Harley for a day easier on your body than riding a bench seat bike all day?

Can you endure a week-long road trip on a Harley without feeling like your back is going to break?
    yez

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    Ended up buying a 1980 Superglide, Fat Bob.

Me and my buddy went up to get it last Sunday. It's been nothing but a PITA ever since.

pics. Let's go.

These are the CL pics the seller had up..

Price was 3500.. The really nice one I posted earlier was 6500 and I almost bought that one, but I want to build a harley. Not buy one.

And I got my first chance to do that on the way home.. My buddy had a big hill in his yard, perfect to unload a bike..

So, I unloaded it and.. It wouldn't fucking start.

It was getting late so I called a wrecker and that is how it came to the shop..

Problem turned out to be float stuck closed. Carb is an old zenith/bendix from a sportster. Doesn't belong, but it seemed to work okay for the seller. It fired right up for him, cold.

So, I cleaned it and then it stuck again.. This time open and flooded the side of the engine with gasoline. Tapped the bowl and it stopped and then it stuck again on its kickstand and flooded the engine with gasoline and contaminated my oil. (Because the bike leans that way on the stand. They all do.)

SOOOOOOOO.. Now its like

Rip the bendix thing off.. This is getting expensive. An Amsoil oil change for a shovel is approaching a hundred bucks.

Order a Super E S&S carb.. It arrives today. It comes complete with a jet kit.

I had no idea how huge they are. Ordered carb only because their breathers are ugly and they want 200 for them alone. (Cheaper with a kit)

Learned I can't mod the stock air cleaner for the carb.. Which, I kinda liked.

It doesn't fit my intake, but I knew it wouldn't. My throttle cable won't work EITHER.. So, I order a throttle kit.. May or may not use all of it. And a ginormous fuel filter to keep this from happening again with new carb.

Now I'm figuring out the wiring mess.. So, it looks like this: