Thread: Detroit's LED streetlights are going out.

Detroit's LED streetlights are going out.

The authority behind the state-of-the-art overhaul of Detroit's streetlight system filed a federal lawsuit Monday against the [California] manufacturer of nearly a third of the city's 65,000 streetlights, saying a fix is expected to cost millions.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...rs/3650465002/
    It's only tax money geesh, but I agree, you've been had. And you know why?

I bought a desk lamp years ago, and a quarter of its LED's burned out within a month. LEDs are frequently not long lived, as anyone knows who uses them, but that doesn't explain why idiots make decisions for the city of Detroit. I think it's because democrats, myself.

But they said the new lights would last for many years, right? ... LOL ... It was RACISM, pure R-A-C-I-S-M goin' on there, so be sure these dipsticks won't get fired.

Want to buy a bridge, you dumb fucks?

Wonder who owns or has interests in that LED CA company?

Follow the trail: https://www.linkedin.com/company/leo...onics-usa-corp

Crap LEDs -- they're around. Light bulbs usually don't last as long as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Crap LEDs -- they're around. Light bulbs usually don't last as long as advertised.
    They’re also not environmental friendly.

I don't know. Link?

I have to say that I just pulled out my fluorescent light fixtures and replaced them with slightly less bright LED fixtures. For this place, that's 16 fluorescent lights out of here replaced with LEDs that draw far less energy and have a more pleasant light color and no flicker or noise. Who knows how long they'll last?

slightly less bright LED bulbs? shirley you jest
    its akin to trying to lead a horse by holding a carrot near its butt..........it just aint gonna work

I've had really good luck with led lighting.. I first noticed it with the little halogen bar light over the kitchen.

I was doing some load calculations and was amazed how much they consumed. When the bulbs failed I replaced them with leds and I tried to check it to see the difference it made, and it wouldn't even make the meter read.. That's how little current they consume.

Here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 of them literally will not move my clamp on ammeter. But it is from Shina? So.. I know the halogen lights sure did!

I have them in the shop.. The 4' fixtures all strung together. Which is nice there because no ballast to fail.

I have three dusk till dawn lights outside, and they're not the real expensive ones.. They have done fine. If you need a light like that, consider these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have them all through my corvette and some of the cheap ones failed. Others are fine?

I'm starting to see them bleed into commercial, industrial and HO applications now, like streetlights. This is really demanding and may be subject to fluctuations that might shorten their life.

In theory this would work great and save them a lot of money.. In reality? It might be an expensive boondoggle and this is why a lot of people avoid the first model year of a completely new automobile design.

Since it is Detriot, it's probably just a scam from the beginning, with inferior products pawned off on taxpayers for inflated prices. Surprised anyone is even investigating it.

I'm sure an unofficial "campaign contribution" can make it all go away.

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

theyre TOO bright J. i suspect five years from now the chinks will be sued because they were indeed TOO bright
    its akin to trying to lead a horse by holding a carrot near its butt..........it just aint gonna work

Quote Originally Posted by number four View Post
    theyre TOO bright J. i suspect five years from now the chinks will be sued because they were indeed TOO bright

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    Since it is Detriot, it's probably just a scam from the beginning, with inferior products pawned off on taxpayers for inflated prices. Surprised anyone is even investigating it.

I'm sure an unofficial "campaign contribution" can make it all go away.
    Probably.