Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How Todd Went to Prison..

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    Not at all.. My indie says: "I can get you anything you need for that bike!" when he found out I had one..

I've bought about 500 bucks worth from Dennis Kirk and JP Cycle so far..

Down to the little stuff.

Very good aftermarket support for the shovel.. It is impressive!

Seriously, check it out sometime. Amazing.
    Shovel parts? Oh I know a guy...

What I do recommend you get is a factory service manual for your year/model. I'm sure they're available in pdf form somewhere online. That'll be the last word on your particular bike. You'll need it for torque specs alone at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by El guap0 View Post
    Shovel parts? Oh I know a guy...

What I do recommend you get is a factory service manual for your year/model. I'm sure they're available in pdf form somewhere online. That'll be the last word on your particular bike. You'll need it for torque specs alone at a minimum.
    Did it frst thing.. that and a parts manual..

The parts book is good because the exploded diagrams help noobs like me come up to speed.

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

Check your rotor and stator while you're in there. Mine grenaded last summer. Deja vu:

Done.. It is newish.

Shovels have an advantage over EVOs here because, I am told, the magnets in an EVO are glued with separations in between.

Shovel has a complete plastic reinforced ring inside the magnet housing.

I wasn't loose magnets that destroyed it, it was dumbass design in '06. Instead of welding the compensator spring cup to the rotor, it was held on with screws- with the heads facing the stator. They came loose and dropped right in:

The rotor and magnets actually survived the episode.

Wow.. Yeah, probably want to loctite those..

Inner primary is cracked in a couple of places. Engine case is cracked a little, but it isn't a structural issue.

The current trend is to get an open belt primary the size of a large sidecar, but I think dry primary on a shovel is retarded.

I dunno how the clutch drum rolls on the newer bikes, but on mine there are what look like a series of sprag clutch rollers in a cage at the rear of the drum for a bearing. That stuff shouldn't be running dry!!

So, it will be a wet primary. Sealed off from the engine, like the newer bikes.

I actually experimented with this before disassembly. Plugged the hoses and filled it up with ATF. Trans with synchromesh. The clutch problems all but vanished. It was nearly perfect and upshifted like an asian bike.

Wow.. Yeah, probably want to loctite those..
    The replacement kit/fix came with a welded rotor unit and higher amp stator- which is physically larger. If I could have found just a stock replacemen t stator I would have tacked welded the screws and re-used the rotor. It was an issue in 06 dynas only. Just my luck.

Inner primary is cracked in a couple of places. Engine case is cracked a little, but it isn't a structural issue.

The current trend is to get an open belt primary the size of a large sidecar, but I think dry primary on a shovel is retarded.

I dunno how the clutch drum rolls on the newer bikes, but on mine there are what look like a series of sprag clutch rollers in a cage at the rear of the drum for a bearing. That stuff shouldn't be running dry!!

So, it will be a wet primary. Sealed off from the engine, like the newer bikes.

I actually experimented with this before disassembly. Plugged the hoses and filled it up with ATF. Trans with synchromesh. The clutch problems all but vanished. It was nearly perfect and upshifted like an asian bike.
    Weld those cracks up and go with stock set up for sure. Any old oil will do. Your clutch pack was probably a little sticky after sitting. My old shovel's clutch pack would always sieze up a bit after sitting for long periods. Just start 'er up and bang it into first- that knocks them loose again. No biggie.

As far as a wet or dry...any set up will come with the proper running gear for them to work properly. Open primaries look cool but you pick up little stones and shit that poke holes in the belt. So if you're rural at all, I wouldn't.