Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE INVESTMENT THREAD

Seriously. Investment thread. I'd like to get it stickied, and refer back to it.

It's already too late for that. For fuck's sake...
    “Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy but where are they.” –Plutarch, Sayings of the Spartans

You should have never mentioned banging your sister.

Careful, it might go off! cotton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm not an investor but when my oldest [step] son turned 18 last year I took him to a friend who is an ****** Jones investor and opened an IRA for him with a $500 deposit.

The max he [you] can put in is $5k a year. We used that number over the last 30 years and he would now have.....up to $6 million dollars. I'm trying to get him to invest regularly and become independent of the government. What 19 year old kid worries about retirement? I gotta figure out a way to get him serious about this.
    since he is 19 what may have a lasting effect on him is for you to print out the difference it will make if waits until he 29 or 39 or 49 to get serious about it. Assume a 6% compounded return. The difference is staggering. The IRL difference is the difference between playing later when everyone else is still having to work. I have used this a lot and its the most effective tool I ever have used.
    "I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free".

Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by cotton View Post
    since he is 19 what may have a lasting effect on him is for you to print out the difference it will make if waits until he 29 or 39 or 49 to get serious about it. Assume a 6% compounded return. The difference is staggering. The IRL difference is the difference between playing later when everyone else is still having to work. I have used this a lot and its the most effective tool I ever have used.

Well, there you are. I specifically posted this thread while I thought you were online.

What's your hunch on banks?
    “Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy but where are they.” –Plutarch, Sayings of the Spartans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshu View Post

Well, there you are. I specifically posted this thread while I thought you were online.

Let me think on it a bit....I stay away from banks and I tend to steer people away from banks as there are so many other places to park money. The only time I buy banks is when people are in panic mode and its getting bloody like when the bottom fell out of BOA. I always try to keep about 10-15% of capital available to be a buyer when the blood is deep in the streets in investment vehicles like banks. The latest thing I did was some long US Dollar/Short EuroDollar Spreads to make some money on the bottom falling out of the Euro over the past year. What started out as low margin fairly low risk trade turned out to be a great trade. To this day I have no idea why it sat for that long and presented the easy opportunity it did. In 25 years of playing the game I've never seen one so obvious with such a moderate outlay of capital and assumption of risk with such potential. Its unlikely I ever will again.

Michelangelo

GOD DAMN THE INCOME TAX.

GOD DAMN "SOCIAL SECURITY".

Blog Entries

In reference to the REIT's we spoke of last night on Pal Talk do did a little deeper into them as the dividend yields are there and that alone is point in their favor. Secondly, the current uncertainty likely means opporturnity is not fully priced into to them at this time...just a thought,..

Michelangelo

Oh, I'm not saying the last 30 years were abnormal. I'm saying the next 30 years may be abnormal...
    I've done the calculations for Bush for the Dow, S&P and NASDAQ. They all went down big and only Hoover is worse.

If there is a chance of Romney winning on election day, make sure you sell all your stocks before it's well known. Romney will not do the things to help the economy and he will do things to hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinbok View Post
    I'M NEVER GONNA RETIRE I LOVE WHAT I DO I SUCK FOR A LIVING.
    tax free ?
    Oct 8

"WHAT?? ME WORRY? THEY'LL FORGET ALL ABOUT IT BY ELECTION DAY!" (TOLD YA...)

http://youtu.be/uhtabJn7ilg

http://youtu.be/ImtjPPBSr8I
    http://youtu.be/RdVMQbZwP-0

COME ON DOWN AND TOUR THE CLIENT AREAS, COMMONSHIT.
    YOU SHOULD MEET THE DNC'S CLIENTELE.

RE-DISTRIBUTE CANADA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THEIR WHITE ASSES!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~