Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Why be a Republican, and why bother to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I had an inspector give me grief about doing some work and building a deck. SHE said that I didn't get a permit and because of that I had to dig up the posts and prove to HER that they were set below the frost line. I said, "And what if I refuse?" [I was working out of state]

She turned red and said she'd let it go if I paid for the permit.

Not the cops, I know, but all these government employees with the slightest bit of authority expect you to simply do whatever they say because they are the government.

I wish you guys could have seen her face when I refused to dig up the posts.
    In some cities.......she'd have called the police.....and they'd have arrested you.

If you'd have resisted arrest, they'd have shot you.

Quote Originally Posted by okpstman View Post
    In some cities.......she'd have called the police.....and they'd have arrested you.

If you'd have resisted arrest, they'd have shot you.
    They would have had to threaten my arrest before I was going to grab a shovel. Plus I'm white so there's a much lower chance of being shot by the cops.

But I doubt that refusing to co-operate with a building inspector is an arrestable offense. I was days from heading back to Tennessee so if they gave me a summons I would have been long gone before the court date. Fuck 'em. I paid the permit though, I didn't want them to fuck up the sale of the house. I assume that's really what they wanted, anyway.

I'm surprised she didn't call the SWAT Team..

Some old things are lovely..
    Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoffa_X View Post
    Well.....it wasn't a fake twitter account......so no need to call swat.

lulz

Quote Originally Posted by okpstman View Post
    Well.....it wasn't a fake twitter account......so no need to call swat.

lulz
    Yeah, cause that would be a capital crime..

Why bother with a jury?

Yeah, cause that would be a capital crime..

Why bother with a jury?
    I don't think cops like juries anyway.

It probably just didn't occur to her. She told me nobody had ever refused her before, I think I caught her off guard. But I gotta tell ya, it felt good to not cave into her demands.

She knew I was from outta town. She said, "You can't just come up here [Ohio] and do whatever you want". She was wrong, though, because I did just that.

It probably just didn't occur to her. She told me nobody had ever refused her before, I think I caught her off guard. But I gotta tell ya, it felt good to not cave into her demands.

She knew I was from outta town. She said, "You can't just come up here [Ohio] and do whatever you want". She was wrong, though, because I did just that.
    They're total dicks.. No doubt about it.

They're total dicks.. No doubt about it.
    Ohio is a special place.

The ONLY trouble I really had was in Ohio.

From a city inspector that wasn't concerned with our work, as much as he was PISSED that out-of-staters were taking jobs from the local union workers.

He gave me a lot of grief.

Here the city inspectors can't even write tickets.

They can only withhold inspection stickers........

They're pretty limited really. Most of them just try to be helpful, so they'll be considered relevant and able to keep their job.

I think they can FINE the electrical company, if THEY hook up to something non-inspected.

But they can't write up the electricians doing work......they can only 'advise' them, (and deny the electrical company access to the site).

So I guess they got some stroke.